Monday, 7 October 2013

Getting ready

Its been a long time since my last post; time just flies by quicker each year I'm sure.
Lately I have been busy with the preparation of my first solo exhibition which is starting on 26th of October in the Elan Valley in Powys. It is only on for the week and is finishing with a craft fair which should be fun. I'll have a table set up where I can do demos for people passing by.That'll be nerve racking!
 

 
I have been working on a large painting entitled ' A year in the Welsh oak woods'. It is still unfinished as I am working on the autumn section now and have been working on this for nearly the whole year. I'm hoping I have it finished in time for 26th of October for Elan and I'm hoping that I like it!!
This is it so far.
 
 
 
Other paintings that I have completed are Seashore Treasures, from pieces that I have collected over the years from Ynyslas beach near Aberystwyth.
 


The painting below is called 'Day Flyers'. I went on a one day moth course back in summer and got well and truly hooked on these beautiful creatures. We had many to study and photograph in a moth trap, some with dazzling gold and copper patterns. These three below are moths that I had found in Ynyslas sand dunes.  The top one; the six spot burnet is very common in any flower rich meadows where they lay their eggs on birds foot trefoil.
 
 
 
I also painted this Tawny owl. I went to an owl sanctuary and couldn't resist as he was so cute. Unfortunately though he was blind in one eye.
 



 
Lastly I'll post some sketches that I did while on holiday in France in August. I was camping in a place called 'La Foret de Cognac' and then also in Monbahus. Saw so many gorgeous butterflies and moths. Below right is a scarce swallowtail; beautiful and quite large, they glided on the breeze like kites and collected around the hilltops so were easy to find. I loved all the meadows filled with wild carrot and chicory, buzzing with wildlife. I also liked the way the farming fields were laid out in mosaics;from  hazelnut plantations and maize to damson orchards and towering sunflowers and always edged with wild flowers verges.
  
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your solo exhibit! Those that attend are in for a treat. Your paintings are truly a feast for the eyes--so many delightful images together on one page. A botanical artist friend of mine calls those painting demos "pretend painting"--which I thought was a good way to look at it--takes the pressure off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big congrats on getting a solo show - a huge achievement. I wish you well and hope that it is a huge success (which it will be!). Gosh - you've been busy haven't you?! Such wonderful paintings and such a mixture of subject matter too. It's lovely to see your sketchbook pages. I always admire sketchbooks because I just can't seem to keep one myself. Love the moths and the owl - such richness in colour. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for such lovely comments xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hermosas y sensibles ilustraciones. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you back in the blogging business Claire - it means we get to see your beautiful paintings. Love the seashore painting. Best of luck with the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preciosos Claire!! el ave me encantaaaaa!!!!!, un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire - that's brilliant. Whatever you don't sell the big painting and make sure you take it instead to SBA next year so we can all see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Katherine ,I'll try and get it there, phew! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your upcoming solo show Claire - I'm sure it will be a great success! "A Year in the Welsh Oak Woods" is very beautiful - all credit to you. A lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulation!! They are very beautiful!!! I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and fantastic work Claire. I hope that all your final preparations for the exhibition go well and to plan - it sure will be a treat to see it all close up. I will try to come, look forward to see you again! <3 :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...