Monday, 10 March 2014

Three Years On

March brings a high pressure to the UK with much needed dry weather at last. The bees and butterflies are out in force, energised by sunshine. Spring flowers nod yellow and purple in the breeze and birds call to their mates. I have been busy too making a wildflower bed in my garden, ready for seeds of cornflower, poppy and foxglove plants.

It's also been three years since I started this blog, time flies and I really hope people still read it and like my work.

I have finished a painting of a skeletal holly leaf, twice life size to show up the detail of the intricate veins and patches of decay.



The colours used are cool cerulean in the highlights, 
transparent burnt sienna, quinacridone deep gold (Dan Smiths), raw umber for the warm colours,
Buff titanium (Dan Smiths), 
French ultramarine & light red for the grey shading,
French ultramarine & burnt umber for the darker sepia colour.
All paints are by Winsor Newton unless I have indicated otherwise.
I used wet into wet technique with some dry brush work on top for the detail. Also my magnifying glass was indispensable to get close up. Definitely a subject you can get carried away with and lose time.
I have plenty more skeleton leaves to paint, each time I go for a walk I find more to do!

I have also completed month two of the nature sketchbook exchange, 
a collection of seaside findings from Ynyslas and Tan y Bwlch beaches for Doreen.


It is turning out to be a very interesting and enjoyable challenge with some wonderful nature inspired artwork to be seen. There is a link in the side panel for the blog.

The SBA submission of paintings for the May exhibition in London is now less than a week away and I am still waiting for two frames. It's cutting it a bit fine to say the least.


This gouache parrot tulip will go to London along with a couple of other gouaches and the oak woods painting and hopefully they'll be accepted. Fingers crossed.

Next I will paint something spring like, Crocus vernus will do nicely.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your three year anniversary for the blog. It's been such a success and a wonderfully good read, here's to may more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paintings are always a delightful surprise to see! I love your holly leaf and that tulip is stunning! I really enjoy reading your blog- I always learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shevaun,this means a lot to me xx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Claire, lovely blog and I love that holly leaf so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Dianne,that's a huge honour for me.
      Those leaves are addictive! Xxx

      Delete
  4. The tulip is amazing! I still read your blog and love your work - I think I always will x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lorraine, you're a star, and hope you see it in London, more fingers crossed!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire - what gorgeous work you do. Your drawings as well as your tulip are superb. Also enjoyed reading some of your older posts. I will be stopping back soon to see what you are doing. Good luck with your work in London. Hope that jet stream is moving away and bringing you some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Debbie, glad you like the blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The holly leaf is wonderful, and your gouache paintings are always a delight! Congratulations on tree years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to find your comment, thank you. Super holly leaf and amazing flower, love parrot tulips. I managed a walk on a local beach, collected some Shells and bits. Very pretty beach and lovely sketches of your beach finds.x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...