Friday, 16 May 2014

In the Bog

It's been a whirlwind of a week at the SBA exhibition in London, where I met up with some amazing friends and fellow artists and I got a huge surprise and honour for one of my paintings. The SBA put on an amazing show and so much hard work goes into it. I wish I could visit again and see the demos that artists are putting on.


Back at home the weather is beautiful and I've had many trips to the bog, Tregaron bog that is or Cors Caron. You can read up about it here.



It's a peaceful place humming with dragonflies and I spotted the green hair streak butterfly here for the first 
time. A beautiful iridescent flash of green flitting around the bilberries and bramble at the edge of the bog.


A large red damselfly landed on my arm, its thorax glowing copper and gold in the sunlight.


Delicate cotton grass sways in the breeze and the chattering of warblers is everywhere.

One of my favourite flowers here is the bogbean, Menyanthes trifoliata 
It has gorgeous frilly white flowers, tinged with pink.


The most common dragonfly I saw is the four spotted chaser.


I have abandoned my other nature reserve study for the moment as I seem to have been captivated by the bog. I will show some sketches from here in my next post but here is an old painting from a bog in Elan valley with a dam drawn in graphite in the background.


7 comments:

  1. Lovely post Claire, great photographs of the butterfly and dragonfly. I have never seen the green butterfly so really pleased to see yours. I always feel a bit scared near bogs, sinking ground! We have the peat marsh with the board walk, I never stray off it onto the wet ground but so much to see especially love spotting the dragonfly. I might just have to go today after reading this while the sunshine lasts.
    Hope you have a great weekend, happy painting. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place and the first time I've ever come across the green butterflies so very special! We have a boardwalk round the bog here too. Hope you have a great weekend and visit your bog! xxx

      Delete
  2. And congratulations on your special award, your work is always beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Milly. Xxxxx I still can't believe it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these photos of this special place. Lovely painting/drawing, too - I really like the combination of both the watercolor and the graphite. And I can't forget to congratulate you on your award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the bog! It is a very special place. Thank you xxxx

      Delete
  4. It was a great day and It was lovely to spend some time with you. Home looks like it has a wealth of fabulous subjects for you. No wonder your wildflower studies are always so good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...